Monday, March 24, 2008

Just good books



What a boring blog so far. So here goes at brightening things up a bit.

Here is our cute Sally enjoying a good book - I think it was 'Robinson Crusoe.'

We love good books, old books. Here's an author you may not have heard of. But I wouldn't even put her in the catagory of 'old books.' The author is still living. I was introduced to her books a couple years ago. Not heavy, but enjoyable. Great character development. A time and a place much different than ours. The author goes by the pen name 'Miss Read.' Her real name is Dora Saint. She writes about the rural English life, centered around the village school.

Here's a good website link for a bibliography of her books. I have found quite a few in the public libraries. Try her out and let me know what you think! I haven't read ALL of her books, but probably about 10 of them. I started with the 'Fairacre' books. 'Chronicles of Fairacre' is a great place to start. Hope I have piqued some interest!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/miss-read/

4 comments:

Reed said...

Wow! you must be a fantastic reading teacher! Even your cat reads???!!!

Andrea said...

ha ha ha hohoho heeheehee!!

Anonymous said...

That picture is so good, you should submit it for a poster on reading for libraries and home schoolers!! How about a web site devoted solely to introducing people to good books? Sandy could be your mascot!

I read Robinson Crusoe on vacation this year and couldn't put it down. The boys and I are now reading Kidnapped! by Robert Louis Stevenson. Very exciting!

Thanks for all you guys do to inspire us.

Love, Em

Fauna said...

Thanks for the tip! These sound like fun books. I'm always looking to check out a new author... I'll add her to my library list!