Tuesday, November 10, 2009

God Moves in Mysterious Ways

This line from a hymn has totally been real for me recently. All the kids got sick right before Isabel & Miranda's birthday, Oct 18. They had a mild fever for a couple days, then developed a cough. Nothing major for any of them. After about 5 days, they were back to normal. After a week Reed got it. More of a serious head cold. Then a couple days later it hit me - hard. I slept for one whole day. Then tried to be up and around, but the energy just wasn't there. Then the coughing started. Headaches, congestion, etc. I felt miserable. Finally went to urgent care at 6am to beg for some relief. Got a 5-day antibiotic to help knock out a sinus infection. It worked, but from beginning to end of the coughing, it took about 2 weeks. Very thankful to be better!!

The mysterious way about this is, while I was sick, I wasn't drinking coffee. After about 4 days I realized, "My throat doesn't hurt!" I've been suffering with acid reflux for almost two years. It really bothered my in my throat. I never got complete relief from it, with medication, antacids, watching my diet, drinking only 1 or 2 cups of coffee per day. It's just got to be that coffee is just too acidic for me. I quit cold turkey!! - probably didn't help those sinus headaches either. So bye-bye coffee. At first I was bumming - how could I wake up in the morning without my cup of coffee?? Well, thankfully I can drink herbal tea and decaf black tea. It's nice to have something hot in the morning. I actually feel better in the morning without the coffee! Surprisingly, I don't feel that tired & groggy, like I thought I would! I had been praying for an answer to this acid reflux problem. And isn't it amazing how God gave me the answer, through this time of being sick. For this I am very thankful to the Lord!

This hymn came to mind. At first I thought I'd check to see if the quote was in the Bible. It's not, but Cowper may have gotten his inspiration from this passage in Isaiah.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (English Standard Version)

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Hope you enjoy reading through the verses of this hymn.

God Moves in Mysterious Ways

William Cowper (1731–1800)

God moves in a mysterious way,
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea,
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence,
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err,
And scan his work in vain;
God is his own interpreter,
And he will make it plain.

(William Cowper was a British poet and hymnist. He struggled throughout his life with depression, doubts, and fears.)

4 comments:

Crystal Carr said...

I'm glad your prayer was answered, I'm glad you're all feeling better now, too!!

andalucy said...

Thanks for sharing that story, Andrea. I remember when the throat thing started, and I'm so glad to hear your prayers were answered.

Reed said...

I blogged on Cowper a while back - John Piper has written on him and his life and battle with mental illness -- http://real2007.blogspot.com/2008/03/god-moves-in-mysterious-way.html

Chesterton in Orthodoxy said he went crazy because he was a Calvinist and I took umbrage with him and flung is book in the trash!

Reed said...

Jeeves quotes this text at times to Bertie - Bertie returns the compliments:

"Wonderful fellow is Jeeves - he
takes a size-fourteen hat, eats tons of fish and moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform."