Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Day Cometh

Get out and vote tomorrow! I'm hoping my first time as election judge goes smoothly! The first challenge will be getting up at 5:15! Ugh.

I hope you've done your research on the candidates! Especially the judicial races. Most races for judges go uncontested, but here we'll actually have 3 or 4 judges slots with 2 candidates to choose from.

OK, I'm going to make a political statement here. There's been so much blah blah in the media regarding this election. This is the main consideration that I've been working out in the last few weeks.

Consider this thought - the government will not and can not be our redeemer. Even our great system of democracy is flawed. The Fall has affected everything. Nothing is perfect in this world. We should not expect the government to be the cure-all for our problems. Our federal government is WAY too big. WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE PROGRAMS! Things need to pared down, big time. I just shudder to think about how things have gotten so out of control. Solutions need to be worked out from the bottom up, starting in each and every home, neighborhood, village and town.

I'm not saying that one party over another is perfect or has the ultimate solutions. We just can't depend on those parties. Each individual should consider what the ideals of the parties reflect and support those candidates who best match up will your own ideals. Solutions have got to start with people, at the lowest level. Each one of us counts and can do good things to make improvements. Let's not rely on the government to fix our problems. It NEVER WILL.

There is only one Redeemer. The Lord Jesus Christ.

'There is a Redeemer' lyrics:

(I don't particularly love the tune, but the lyrics seemed appropo for this post.)

There is a Redeemer,

Jesus, God's own son,

Precious Lamb of God, Messiah,

Holy One.



Jesus, my Redeemer,

Name Above All Names,

Precious Lamb of God, Messiah,

Hope for sinners slain.



When I stand in glory,

I will see his face,

And there I'll serve my King forever,

In that holy place.



Thank you oh my Father,

For giving us your Son,

And leaving your Spirit

til the work on earth is done.

No comments: